What is Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation?
Neurostimulation therapy treatment, or spinal cord stimulation, is the safe delivery of low voltage electricity to the dorsal column or peripheral nerves. With neurostimulation therapy, the pain stimulator inhibits pain signals before they reach the brain and replaces pain signals with a soothing, tingling sensation that covers the specific area where the pain feels.
The neurostimulation therapy treatment is an implantable, reversible system that allows patients to control their level of impulses with a handheld device. This neurostimulation therapy treatment is a simple outpatient procedure done first in a trial form, where a patient tries the neurostimulation therapy device for three to seven days to see if they are happy with the results. If they have successful pain relief through neurostimulation therapy, the neurostimulator then implants permanently and removes with no harm, at any time.
Benefits of Neurostimulation Therapy Treatment for Spinal Cord Simulator:
- Replaces pain signals with a soothing, tingling sensation
- A reversible trial completed for four to seven days to determine the effectiveness of therapy
- An outpatient procedure, little recovery time needed
- Ability to sit, walk and stand for longer periods
- The reversible system can remove at any time
- Reduces the need for oral medications
- The patient-controlled programmer allows for customization of pain control.